La Vida Loca de La Gringa

The life of a 23 year old missionary who used to live at an orphanage in Mexcio, but is now trying to adjust to living back in the United States.

Friday, January 20, 2006

Tragic

Why do young people always think that they are invincible? We had a tragedy in our small town of Guadalupe last weekend and it has affected everyone, especially our older girls.

On Monday, Sonia Edith came to my room weeping, and she couldn’t talk for quite awhile. When she finally could talk, she told me the story of what had happened. Sunday night 5 boys (whom our girls know quite well from their high school) had gone out drinking and partying. Alonso (who was only 17) was driving and he managed to get 3 of the boys to their homes with no problem. He and the last boy (who was 21 and about to get married) were headed home, but Alonso was driving too fast and apparently he spun out of control. The car rolled many times. The other boy was killed instantly. Alonso managed to crawl out and signal to a passing bus, but by the time the driver of the bus got there he had already passed away. It is so sad that these two young men were taken from this life so young. Sonia Edith tells me that Alonso knew about the gift of salvation, and so I can only hope that in his last moments he repented.

It really has had a sobering effect on our girls and the entire community. I hope some good will come of it in the end, and that the youth of Guadalupe won’t take such crazy chances with their lives.

This week has been a sad week for me. I have tried to start packing many times and always stop in the middle. I know I am going to have to do it eventually. At the moment, it is just too hard.

The days are going by too fast, yet at moments they crawl by. That doesn’t even make any sense!

Anyway this weekend I am going to a competition on the book of Acts. Leydi’s church is having a competition with various other church youth groups on the book of Acts. There are 8 participants from each church. They wanted me to be one of their participants, but I didn’t think I would be able to remember the names of everything in Spanish.

On February 3rd, I will be sharing my testimony( in Spanish) at Leydi's church. I am so nervous. I know that I am going to get up there and forget everything I have learned about this language!!!!

Anyway I have to get back to work.

La Gringa Loca

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home