La Vida Loca de La Gringa

The life of a 23 year old missionary who used to live at an orphanage in Mexcio, but is now trying to adjust to living back in the United States.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Waiting at the airport

In my 2 1/2 years of living here in Mexico, my boss has asked me many times to pick up people from the airport in El Paso. It's quite funny because I never know what they will look like unless they have come on a previous trip. Even then, I have a shady impression of a face because I meet so many people from so many groups.

I was thinking back to the various people I have picked up, and how silly I always feel waiting for them and trying to guess which one of the various people walking into the waiting area they might be. For example, I was supposed to pick up an 18 year old girl last month from the airport. Dean says "She has olive skin." In a city of Mexicans that is not very helpful!!!! You stand in the waiting area and watch people go by. Probably some of them are waiting for people who they don't know to pick them up, so they give you half a smile and both of you start to wonder, "Is this the person?" You half start to speak, but then they continue on. I don't know exactly at what moment you know that this is the person you are waiting on. I think it is when you both start to say "Are you .."

The latest person I picked up is the woman who is going to be replacing me as secretary. All I knew about her was that she is from the Philippines (later I found out it was her father who was from the Philippines). At the airport, I was waiting for a short, little woman to come walking through the door. I almost asked a couple of women if they were Lee, but decided against it. Finally a tall, dark woman came through the door and she saw me and said "Are you Erin?" Just goes to show you can never really judge how a person will look before you meet them.

Anyway I am still trying to pack, but I am least 1/5 of the way through! I continue to cry every night, but I know the Lord will give me grace to leave. Talk to you later,La Gringa Loca

1 Comments:

  • At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    haha I was that olive-skinned girl. :) It is a strange feeling, for sure. I hope everything is going well with you- I am praying the Lord will let you find joy in these last days at the Ranch, in every moment, and that you will not be tempted to be depressed (too often ;) by your departure. Thanks again for a wonderful time!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home