La Vida Loca de La Gringa

The life of a 23 year old missionary who used to live at an orphanage in Mexcio, but is now trying to adjust to living back in the United States.

Saturday, January 29, 2005

So Much To Tell!

It has been awhile since I have blogged, so I am trying to figure out how to cram so much stuff into one little post

Wednesday I taught school and then took one of our older girls, Sonia Edith, to the doctor in Juarez. The Aerostar had been driving fine, so I had no expectations of problems. I was, therefore, surprised to look at the dashboard and find it was overheating. We were half-way to our destination in Juarez. We did what we thought would be best and went and bought some water and filled it back up. I started driving again and it appeared to be fine, but then huge clouds of smoke started coming out of the tailpipe and surrounding us. I decided to stop at a gas station and the guy there told us that probably the motor had overheated too much and that if we kept driving the transito (traffic cops) would stop us. I then had to call Erick who then had to come get us. He decided to drive the aerostar back to the Ranch and we took the big white van and went on the hospital. Dean told me today that it looks like the aerostar is shot, and so now I am down to no vehicles agian!

Thursday was Jair's operation (the little boy who has cancer). As soon as school was over, Leydi and I took the big white van and headed to Juarez. There we discovered the happy news that the doctors could not find any sign of a tumor. God had healed him! Although he will continue chemotherapy, there appears to be nothing there and we are all so grateful. After leaving the hospital, we had a bazillion errands to run. We picked up Leydi's brother, Armando, from work, went to pick up Sonia's results at the hospital, picked up uniform shirts, etc.... It was a very long day.

Friday, I got up early to take Sonia back to the doctor and ended up with 2 more of the older girls going and Tita and Norma. It turned out to be a big girl party! We spent the whole day in Juarez running errands and browsing the market looking for special school supplies for Joseylin. This is where the fun starts! There is a big cathedral in Juarez that is very ornate and I wanted to look inside, so Sonia and I walked over to the big doors and proceeded up the steps. There was a guard inside and you had to pay money, so we decided not to tour it. As I was turning around to leave, my boot caught on the edge of the step and I fell right at the feet of the security guard. Needless to say I was extremely embarressed and vacated the premises even before the guard could say anything to me. The girls laughed and laughed and laughed and even complemented me telling me that it looked "just like a fall in the movies" and that I fell to my knees "so gracefully". They even tried to make me walk past the guard again, but I refused! We ended up getting back to the Ranch at 6:00Pm after a fun day of bonding!

Today is my day of rest and I am trying to stay out of the kid's way, so they won't knock on my door. It isn't working, so I have escaped to Guadalupe after Jason kindly lent me his car.

Anyway that's enough for now,
La Gringa

2 Comments:

  • At 10:52 AM, Blogger quirky said…

    that is amazing that your little friend's tumor was healed! aren't God's answers to prayer wonderful? thanks for sharing the joyful news!

    nice job flirting with the security guard...

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Blogger Erin said…

    I'll have you know, I was not flirting with the security guard. Falling on my knees in front of a guy, is not the best method for making a good impression in my opinion!

    La gringa

     

Post a Comment

<< Home