La Vida Loca de La Gringa

The life of a 23 year old missionary who used to live at an orphanage in Mexcio, but is now trying to adjust to living back in the United States.

Saturday, May 07, 2005

9 hours and my girls!

Thursday, the day started out with a very interesting situation. Dean discovered that someone had gotten into the back of the chapel where we keep the personal hygiene stuff and covered parts of the floor and wall with shaving cream. They had also knocked a lot of stuff off the shelves and generally created a mess. We knew it was one of the kids, and so Dean called all the kids to the chapel and told them no one was leaving until someone confessed. We were about to get a lesson in the stubborness of children.

To make it worse they were on vacation from school, so no one was too happy about being being cooped up in the hot chapel. All the leaders took turns watching them every hour. The first to "confess" were two of my girls, Angelica and Karla. Knowing them the way I do, I am sure their reasons stemmed from wanting to impress the boys and save everybody from being stuck there all day. When Dean discovered that they couldn't even tell him how they entered, he knew they were lying and told them that their punishment would be worse than the one who did it because they weren't telling the truth. After that one of our older boys had a long coversation with one of our littlest boys, Aron (6), who then proceeded to confess. Everyone started laughing, though, when he said he entered from the laundry room (which is miles away from the chapel) and hid the shaving cream there. Through his laughter, Dean told him to get back in the chapel. In the end, the kids spent 9 hours on Thursday in the chapel. It was not a pleasant situation. Dean did feed them and in the end took pity on them and sent them to bed at nine. My boss is a very determined man. He told the kids they would spend the next four days in the chapel until someone confessed. Finally, Friday morning Daniel (12) confessed. It is amazing to me how stubborn our kids can be sometimes. That sin nature sure shows through!!!!

I wanted to share a little bit about my girls. They are so extremely different and unique. Each one has her unique personality.

First there is Elisa (12). She has been on my heart and in my prayers lately. She had began to spend a lot of time with one of our older girls who has some really bad attitudes and she started to act just like her. I have had many conversations with her on that subject and it all went in one ear and out the other or so I thought. Just recently, I have seen God began to move in her heart and she has become much more open and affectionate with me! She is so beautiful (I think all our girls are) with long striking black hair and just like any mother when we go out and some young oaf looks her over I give him my evil eye!!!!! It's amazing the protectiveness I feel for her and all my girls.

Then there is Lourdes (12), my drama queen. No one ever understands her! The leaders are all against her and she doesn't know what to do. I sigh as I try to reason with her, understanding her only too well as my mother could testify. Her mother didn't want her, so most of her life she has lived with her grandmother who she calls Mom. She never wanted to come to the Ranch and she is still having a hard time fitting in. She is my loner who never wants to participate in what the rest of us are doing.

Cecilia (12) and Bere (11). These two are sisters and as different as night and day. Bere is very intelligent, makes good grades at school, but isn't very savy socially. Cecy hates school, but is wonderful with people and making friends.

Andrea (10) is I hate to admit it one of my favorites! For all that she is has been through (a horribly abusive father), she has such a sweet spirit and a servant's heart. She is the only one I trust in my room or to run errands. She is always ready to work and serve.

Karla 2 (10) breaks my heart. She comes out of what Dean calls "the worst case of child abuse he has ever heard of". Sometimes I just hold her and we cry together because she is tormented by her past. We pray and pray for God to free her from the memories. She doesn't fit in well with the other girls and has a hard time just being an innocent little girl. She is very loving, quiet, and withdrawn.

Flor (8) is my energetic one. She is always bouncing all over the place and she remins me of Tigger off "Winnie the Pooh". She has been at the Ranch for a long time and so is little Miss Bossy Pants to the others who haven't been there that long. She has a passion for rollerskating!

Areli & Adeli (7) my twins exasperate me and make me laugh! Two little bolts of mischievous energy who are always looking for something to get involved in. They really are busy bodies who listen in on coversations and then report them all wrong. I can't tell you how many times people have got info wrong because of them. They are so hungry for love and affection. They just want you to hold them!

Griselda(5) is my little charmer. Always laughing and bubbly, she is my definition of an innocent child despite her background ( which is anything but nice and pleasant). She is the baby of everyone in the Ranch.

Biri (6) is a child that at times confuses me. She has a loving, childish side, but she acts like an adult. She is very closed off to people at times and other times she is open. I still haven't figured her out.

Esme(6) is my little know it all. If there is something going on, she'll know about it. I have a lot of problems with her bossing everybody else around, but also she is such a crackup. She keeps us constantly laughing.

Anyway that is just a little glimpse of my little girls. Next time I'll write about the older ones.

La Gringa Loca,
Erin

1 Comments:

  • At 10:21 PM, Blogger quirky said…

    that's hilarious about the shaving cream. i would probably have "confessed" too, just to get out of there. of course, it probably really would have been me...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home