La Vida Loca de La Gringa

The life of a 23 year old missionary who used to live at an orphanage in Mexcio, but is now trying to adjust to living back in the United States.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

One of those days

Yesterday was certainly a trial in faith! There are days when I wonder what I am doing working with children. The girls fought me at every turn yesterday. First, I had guard duty at lunch and all the boys ran off without doing their chores. That was frustrating to say the least. Then Josyelin lost her certificate from middle school. If she doesn't have it, she won't be able to enter college this semester. I drove her from friend's house to friend's house looking for it, but she still couldn't find it. She was pretty discouraged.

I had the guard that night, so I prepared to play with the girls outside. The girls, however, had decided they wanted to watch a movie. When I said no attitudes got surly.

On top of that, one of our girls thinks she is always sick. We have taken her at least eight times to the doctor. She has had extensive blood work done, a cardiologist has checked her heart, and other doctors have said she is perfectly normal, and yet she thinks there is something terribly wrong with her. Yesterday, she decided to pull one of her sick spells and I had 5 hysterical 10 years olds telling me she was dying and that I didn't care about her because I wasn't rushing her to the hospital. We called the doctor and she said that it wasn't an emergency and probably a little motrin would do the trick.

One of my little girls stole candy and I had to punish her by sending her to her bed. She flat out told me no, so then I had to discipline her. She fought me the entire time and I thought to myself "Why am I wrestling with a 7 year old?" I finally just decided to take her to Dean. When she calmed down I was able to explain to her that I love her very much, but she can't behave like that.

By this time, I was exhausted, but Berenice has two huge boils that I had to try to drain. Ok, I know that sounds disgusting, but that is the only way to get them better. I spent an hour trying to get all the infection out. I felt so horrible because she was in so much pain. I will have to finish that job this afternoon.

Sometimes I get panicked when I think of where these girls could be heading if they don't change, and then the Lord then gently reminds me that He is in control over these girl's lives and that I am just His vessel.

Today I am working in the office and then heading to Juarez to go shopping for the school with Lety, the principal.

Oh by the way, I have a new car!!! It is really wonderful. Someone donated it the Ranch and Dean gave it to me. To be able to leave on my day off and get some time away from the Ranch is such a blessing.

Anyway I have to get back to work,Erin

1 Comments:

  • At 10:52 PM, Blogger quirky said…

    sounds like a rough day. but you're right; the lord is in control and he will work everything out for good and his glory. that's great that you got a car! ttyl

     

Post a Comment

<< Home