La Vida Loca de La Gringa

The life of a 23 year old missionary who used to live at an orphanage in Mexcio, but is now trying to adjust to living back in the United States.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

The Battle Continues!

I think the Lord must be trying to teach me a lesson in patience because never have I had so many problems with the girls as I have had in the past 2 weeks as well as this one. Attitudes have flared and many angy and foolish words have been spoken or yelled at me. The Lord has been very faithful to strengthen me and help me to respond in an appropriate manner.

Yesterday was an extremely busy day for me. As the summer nears and the groups of Americans begin to come every week my workload increases. Paul (one of our workers) wasn't here to make breakfast yesterday, but he forgot to ask me to make it. The girls came knocking on my door at 6:45 AM telling me there was no one in the kitchen. I hurridly unthawed some milk, poured cereal in bowls, got the kids to be quiet, settled fights, and took away one love note! That was an interesting and crazy beginning to my day. I went to town to get groceries for the group, came back and helped Martina make enchiladas, served the Americans lunch at 1:00 PM and had my guard in the dining room with the kids at 2:30PM. I took Sonia Edith to town to buy some school supplies, came back to attend leader's meeting, and then rushed back to town after forgetting to buy ice for the group. After that I had guard with the girls until I put them to bed at 9:00PM. Even as I write this, I can't believe all that happened yesterday.

Last night, I had behavorial problems with two of my girls. I have to ask to God for patience not to respond to the horrible things they can say when angry. One of the girls told me no to my face more than once and I put her with her nose against the wall outside in front of the Americans. I told her she would stay there all night if necessary (I had Dean's permission) until she could ask for my forgiveness. I knew I was in for a long battle. Finally around 10:00PM she overcame her pride and sobbing asked me for forgiveness.

This morning, when I went to wake up the girls it was "get up on the wrong side of the bed day". Everyone was grumpy and fighting with each other. I finally sat them all down on their beds and asked them why we were all fighting. I told them that this is not a good way to start the day.

I don't want everyone to think that I always have bad times with the girls. There are those precious moments I wouldn't trade for the world. Karla 1 used to be my main troublemaker, but God is doing such an amazing work in her life. I am left standing in awe. Last week, she got majorly punished for her behavior and Leydi and I really spoke the word into her life and thank God, He got through to her. Crying she told us her story and her desire to change. She asked for our help and committed to pray with us this week about becoming a Christian. We see so many kids here walk down the aisle and not really know what they are doing, so we really wanted her to see the seriousness of accepting the Lord as her Savior. We told her at the end of the week, if the Lord was still putting the desire on her heart Dean, Leydi, and I would pray with her. This week she has had to endure the laughter and jokes of the other girls at her expense and yet she has continued to change and now is no longer a problem for anyone. She and I have a secret word. When she is feeling low and needs someone she comes up and whispers the word "Negro (black)" in my ear and I know she needs me. I am once again just in awe of how the Lord moves in the lives of children that we think will never change. He is so faithful.

Anyway that is enough for now,
La Gringa Loca

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home