La Vida Loca de La Gringa

The life of a 23 year old missionary who used to live at an orphanage in Mexcio, but is now trying to adjust to living back in the United States.

Monday, May 09, 2005

Mother’s Day and Surprise Birthday Party

Mother’s Day in Mexico seems to me to be very different than in the States. They are very big on singing to their mothers here. In fact, my friend Leydi’s brother and his youth group will be out until 3:00AM in the morning singing to all the mothers from his church. I think my father would take the shotgun out if someone came and sang to mom that early in the morning! Here the people do not have a lot of money so to me they are more sincere about celebrating their moms by actions and words rather than with materialistic things. Anyway on that note, just wanted to say that I am blessed to have the mother I have and I hope she had a wonderful Mother's day. I love you Mom.

We celebrated Mother’s day with a big fiesta yesterday (although here in Mexico, it won’t be Mother’s day until tomorrow). We invited all the mothers of our children at the Ranch and all the moms of the children at school. The fiesta was held in our brand new library which is huge and has gorgeous chandeliers. There was of course tons of cake and punch and beautiful decorations (which we spent the better part of Saturday putting up). I also made a ton of corsages until I was sick of them!!! We were very surprised by the turnout. The library was full of moms. We played lots of games, which were extremely hilarious. I had no idea moms could be so competitive. There was one game which resembled hockey except the sticks were brooms and the pucks balloons. I have never seen anyone try to get a goal as hard as these women did. They even knocked over some children who had gotten too close!!!! Then there was the other game where we tied a balloon to the leg of every mom and they all had to try and pop the balloon of every one else. It came down to two valiant moms who duked it out until we called a tie. The evening was deemed a success by all!

Friday was Tita’s birthday, but I never could find time to throw her a party. Saturday and Sunday passed by and finally today I got everything together and we are going to have a party tonight. She is always so surprised when we do things like this. She always just thinks (or in her case hopes) that we have forgotten! I let the girls decorate my room with balloons and streamers and I have a cake, chips, and soda. All things that young teenage girls love!!!! It should be fun.

Anyway we finally have DSL in the Ranch, so now it is much easier to communicate with all of you out there.

Jordan, thank you for being so faithful to post comments. I love reading them.

La Gringa Loca,
Erin

2 Comments:

  • At 1:20 PM, Blogger quirky said…

    i wonder how much 3 am singing you have to do on campus before you get arrested for public intixication?? i'll have to try it some time. singing at 3 that is, not intoxication.

    the balloon game is terrific! i haven't played it in ages, but that used to be a birthday party favorite.

    by the way, you need to get AOL instant messenger. that's what everyone here on campus uses, so it's not very convenient for me to use the other one that you got. so unless you have a bunch of friends all on that one and it would be inconvenient for YOU to switch, then try IM.

    and also, it's ok for you to comment on your own posts in response to things like this. :-P

     
  • At 1:21 PM, Blogger quirky said…

    intixication?? that was not deliberate...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home