La Vida Loca de La Gringa

The life of a 23 year old missionary who used to live at an orphanage in Mexcio, but is now trying to adjust to living back in the United States.

Friday, May 13, 2005

The War For Their Hearts and Minds

This week has been an ongoing spirtual battle for me. I really think it is one of the hardest weeks I have been though since coming here. It has really prompted me, though, to seek comfort and guidance even more from the Lord.

There are many days when it is easy to see the spirtual battle being fought in the hearts of our kids and Wednesday was one such day. I was teaching as usual and 2nd grade came through, 3rd grade went fine, 4th grade were enthusiastic, and then came 5th grade and the battle began. I try to be enthusiastic with my kids and get them excited about learning English. Everyone was participating and really getting into it except Angelica and Berenice. At first, I tried to ignore it becasue if they don't want to learn I can't force them, but when they began deliberately interrupting the class to the point that I had to take action I knew I had to do something.

I don't know if all children are stubborn, but ours at the Ranch seem to take stubborness/willfulness to an extreme. Since in our English book we were using the story of Jonah, I decided to have those two girls copy out Chapter 4 for punishment. The rest would work on another assignment. They told me no to my face, paced around the classroom, and generally made a great show of defiance. I calmly told them that I would happily stay with them all day until they finished. They didn't believe me, but as I held them back for the next class they started to get nervous that I might be serious. Deciding to test me they began throwing notes back and forth to each other and the other children. They did everything they could to push every button I have and by the end of 6th grade they had disrupted the whole class to where I coudn't control anyone. I had to go and get Leydi to help me. I knew this was a test because they wanted me to get mad and yell at them in front of the class. I was praying and asking God for the words to use and patience. When everything was finally under control, they were severly punished. Not only did they finish copying the chapter, they cleaned the entire dorm, washed all the dishes, and swept and mopped the floor of the kitchen.

In the beginning, it was almost as though I could see into the mind of Angelica while she was battling whether or not to control her behavior or not. I see so clearly the war that goes on every day for their hearts and minds.

The thing that I give glory to God for, is that later that night there was a knock on my door. There they stood in tears asking me for forgiveness and asking me to pray for them. I was touched once again at how God, even when I have given up hope, is still working in their lives. Leydi and I were able to share with them from the word and from our hearts and pray with them. Once again these are the small victories that give me hope and renew my strength. I thank the Lord that he is always working.

Anyway I am driving the teachers to their luncheon today in Juarez today and when I get back I have guard. That pretty much sums it up for now.

La Gringa Loca,
Erin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home